10/2/13

Happy Schlocktober!!

A few years back I did a little month long horror marathon which I lovingly called Schlocktober. A moniker and format I'm sure I'm not the first to devise. Around this time of year movie websites are abuzz with horror themed reviews and articles. Feeling more in the spirit this year than last, I decided to dust off my old Schlocktober tag and join in the festivities. The goal is to watch no less than 31 horror movies this month. Ideally, one film and in turn one review per day. Naturally I expect things to come up, especially this being my favorite time of year. I plan to do my fair share of gallivanting, but as long as I can squeeze at least 31 movies in this time frame and report my findings here, Schlocktober will be a success! I won't lie, this will be a challenge. Some entries will be full reviews, some will be nothing more than a poster and a blurb, and I'm sure there will be a few duds along the way.

To prepare I re-organized all of my vhs, dvds, files and bumped everything genre to the top of my netflix queue. At this rate I'm ready for the next 30 Schlocktobers! Think of this post as a prologue. Tomorrow will begin the actual reviews. If I plan it right, the final review will fall on November 1st, which appropriately is the Day of the Dead. To get myself in the spirit of this month long celebration I spent the day prepping and watching several episodes of my newest favorite show, the Hilarious House of Frightenstein which I only recently had the pleasure of experiencing for the first time.









































































A unique spin on Halloween themed kids shows that's conceptually similar to a Sid and Marty Kroft-esque variety show while melded with a horror host vibe. Starring the multitalented Billy Van in almost every role. It co-starred the Tor Johnson clone Fishka Rais (Cannibal Girls) and of course Vincent Price whose in his element, as always. This show feels so nostalgic that even having not grown up with it I feel a sense of attachment and familiarity. Should be accompanied with Count Chocula or Boo Berry. By the end of the day I was ready to run around in a cape (bed sheet) with candy corn fangs yelling "blah blah blah" (you know, in that satirical Dracula voice?). The show is obviously aimed at kids and being so light and campy, it was the perfect way to kick off the season. I plan to continue watching it intermittently as Halloween grows nigh.

I'm a little late in posting this as midnight has past, but you can anticipate somewhat prompt reviews in the weeks to come!


No comments:

Post a Comment